[Tfug] Security-related question

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Tue Feb 22 08:43:21 MST 2011

Hi,

Standard tools for this would be tcpdump and wireshark.  Do full
packet/frame captures with TCPdump, and load the pcap file into
wireshark, you can filter based on the MAC address of the VM.  You can
also use wireshark directly to do the capture.  Most of the time the
machines I am doing the capture on are remote, and tcpdump is simpler
for that.

I would use a bridged connection instead of NAT, so that the machine is
native on your local network, but tcpdump can do either with ease.

                                        Harry