[Tfug] distro suggestions

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Sat Oct 30 19:12:46 MST 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:59:42PM -0700, Ammon Lauritzen wrote:

>I need to be able to build this machine in an afternoon without having
>to learn another language.
>
>My wishlist in a distro:
> - Linux with modern kernel
> - Current packages for core system that "just work".
> - Option for lightweight install (ie, no x, cups, bluetooth, audio...)
> - Ruby 1.9.2 package capable of coexisting with 1.8
>     OR
> - Sufficiently minimal package management to allow me to build by
>hand w/o fear of strange conflicts
>
>Bonus points:
> - Good firewall management
> - Friendly Java install options
>
>I built a similar home server/firewall for my dad last week and wound
>up using CentOS for the task because Ubuntu was strangely
>uncooperative at the time. This is my backup plan unless anyone else
>has any good ideas.
>
>Thoughts? Suggestions?

You want Debian.  Enough said.  :)

I just recently installed Debian on old laptop with 64 MB of RAM (try *that*
with Ubuntu or Gentoo).  Shortly thereafter it was upgraded to 256 MB and it
was a breeze to go back and give it a minimal X treatment (using Xfce).

Debian package management is, in my opinion, tops bar none.  It may be a bit
cumbersome to make your own packages, but all those rules and guidelines are
there for a reason.  It makes like as a user so much more pleasant.

I installed off of the latest Debian/stable release and once that was running,
I switched the package repositories to Debian/testing so I could have all that
almost brand new candy (not *quite* as bleeding edge as Debian/unstable but
very usable).

After you've enabled the contrib repository (I think) you get access to all of
the Debian Java packages.  Or maybe there in main now... I don't remember.  At
any rate, they work just fine.

I don't know offhand if Debian/testing or /stable has the exact Ruby versions
you want, but I shouldn't think it difficult for more than one version to play
nice, even if the Debian packages are mutually exclusive (in which case you'd
have to install one version by hand).

Don't be shy about questions.  There's plenty of Debian love on this list.  :)

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS (soon for Android) --  http://weaselreader.org