[Tfug] CDs: no medium found, DVDs work (sometimes)

Kramer Lee krameremark1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 07:09:53 MST 2010

Well, you could buy or borrow a USB CD/DVD reader and plug that in and
see if that can read it, and confirm that it works in a Windows
computer too.  I found one that runs completely from the USB port and
needs no wall wart for about $60 recently and it burned DVDs fine.  It
is great, just grab it off the shelf and plug it in and write, from
any computer.  Many CD/DVD writers from a few years ago run hot and
burn out just from sitting inside the machine, which is great for
selling more DVD writers.  I put a fan under my old ones but they
still would go out just sitting there, so this external one is great
as it only warms up rarely when I use it.

Can you read these CD/DVDs on a windows machine, at least not getting
"no disk" type messages on other machines?