[Tfug] OT: Ooma phone

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 15:31:46 MST 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM,  <earljviolet at deserthowler.com> wrote:
> Has anyone in TFUG any experience with the Ooma phone system?

I have had Ooma for about 2 years and have been very pleased with it.
In fact, I have had such good luck that my dad, brother, and a
coworker have all purchased Ooma and like it. One thing worth
mentioning is that we all have the older version of the device, the
Ooma Hub. So far I've experienced only one brief outage of the
service. They do make it clear that there is a limit as to how many
minutes you can use in a month. I don't know now what that limit is
but I've never reached it with normal residential use. Ooma has usage
limits to avoid abuse by call centers and other high frequency, long
duration callers. My Ooma Hub does not have the $12/year fee which
they added at the beginning of this year. The way I see it is that
residential phone service is probably about $30 per month so if the
device is $200 and lasts for 7 months then it has paid for itself. One
final thought on voice quality. Ooma is much better than Vonage if
you've used it.

Hope that helps,
Ryan