[Tfug] windows to linux

Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com Liz_Ravenwood at beaerospace.com
Thu Sep 24 09:04:48 MST 2009

Earl - what a funny sense of humor you have.  "wet cat"

So, I took photos of the screen last night and accidentally deleted the
first one and probably the most important.  I guess my brain abbreviated
an important dialogue screen.  woops.

It's bawling about not having a driver for my disk, so I just downloaded a
driver update thing from Toshiba.  I'll try that this weekend.  Gonna play
Rock Band at a friends tonight.  What a FUN game!

Respectfully,
Liz, Data Base Architect/Developer,
Methods Engineering

earljviolet at deserthowler.com
Sent by: tfug-bounces at tfug.org
09/23/2009 06:33 PM
Please respond to
Tucson Free Unix Group <tfug at tfug.org>

"Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Tfug] windows to linux

Hi, Liz,

I've been following your adventures and I have a few observations and
questions.

I think you mentioned Red Hat.  A while ago I tried to install Centos and
got the same message.  If I remember correctly, the Live CD ran great but
when I went to install it said there was no disk.  Unless you need Red Hat
you might want to try something else.

I don't think you gave specs on the computer but with the recent desk-top
included distros you probably want a PIII 866 MHz with 384 MB memory
minimum (this is my experience with Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mandirva).

If you don't care about XP any respectable distro will give you
installation option of "take the whole disk" and do it with no problem.
Heck, try it, you have nothing to lose.  Start installing and see where it
takes you.

A live CD should let you know what hardware you have will and won't work.

Wet cat is undefined variable.

Earl

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options:

This email (and all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain privileged and/or proprietary information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply