[Tfug] Cabling between buildings

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Thu May 28 12:57:15 MST 2009

On 28 May 2009 at 0:04, Bexley Hall  wrote:

> I think something DSL-ish will be the easiest win for him.
> There's already miles of phone cable on the property so
> he could leverage that "investment"

This story has links to DSL modems for setting up your own DSL-like
environment.  The links are probably too old to all be alive but it should give
you some ideas.

    I, Cringely . The Pulpit . Roll Your Own | PBS
    http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2001/pulpit_20010823_000703.html

See other links here for more:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=roll+your+own+dsl

Since your buddy has trenching equipment, I'd seriously look into fiber-optic
links between the buildings with fiber-to-ethernet transceivers at each end.
You will then have a multi-building LAN over which you can pump anything that
would work over standard ethernet.  I replaced a fried-by-lightning 2.4ghzx
bridge with fiber when we had to extend it to another building, and it works
great.  The three buildings are linked by fiber and within each building we use
standard CAT5 ethernet cabling.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fiber+lan
http://www.google.com/search?q=fiber+ethernet
--