[Tfug] SheevaPlug Plug Computer

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Tue Mar 24 17:47:51 MST 2009

On 24 Mar 2009 at 13:25, Marco Savo  wrote:

> Looking how to make a NAS, this SheevaPlug Plug Computer the "NSLU2
> killer", is sold for 100$, with an expected drop to 50$.
> Does someone uses it? I was thinking to buy one and sell my mini-itx...

D-Link's DNS-321 looks intriguing.  $30 rebate on it puts its price under $100
from NewEgg.

SourceForge.net: smartmontools » NAS
http://smartmontools.wiki.sourceforge.net/NAS

    Like many such devices these NAS boxes are running Linux under the covers.
    Further the Dlink firmware during its boot sequence checks the top level
    directory of the first disk for an executable file called "funplug" and if
    present executes it. This is a hackers delight allowing many additional
    features to be added while maintaining the manufacturer's firmware. One
    such hacker who goes by the name of "fonz" has almost a mini-distribution
    leveraged off the standard Dlink firmware. See http://wiki.dns323.info/
    for more information and http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/ to download
    fonz's work. I use version 0.5 without problems.

It has 64mb RAM and 16mb Flash storage in addition to the dual 3.5" SATA slots.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona