[Tfug] Virtualox on Debian Lenny

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 24 14:33:24 MST 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 02:49:32AM -0000, Charles R. Kiss wrote:
> This sentence from the VirtualBox site is a little ambiguous:
>
> [/QUOTE]
> Note: The package architecture has to match the Linux kernel
> architecture, that is, if you are running a 64-bit kernel, install the
> appropriate AMD64 package (it does not matter if you have an Intel or an
> AMD CPU). Mixed installations (e.g. Debian/Lenny ships an AMD64 kernel
> with 32-bit packages) are not supported. To install VirtualBox anyway you
> need to setup a 64-bit chroot environment.
> [/QUOTE]
>
> Does anyone believe this means that, for full functionality, one has to
> set up a 64bit chroot for VirtualBox if using a Lenny Kernel??

I'd say far from ambiguous, but just plain wrong.  You just don't need a
chroot environment to run VBox.  Yes, it would *work* in such a thing, but it
is completely overkill.

All this message is saying is to match your kernel with your packages.  That's
generally the rule to follow for *any* software, not just VBox.  Have a 64bit
kernel?  Install 64bit packages.

Also, I am unaware of any official (or unofficial) Debian release which ships
a 64bit kernel and complete 32bit userspace.  I suppose such a thing should
function, but probably the only way to get it would be to compile the kernel
yourself.

P.S. Did anybody just get a big flood of messages covering the past five days
or so?  I did... even though I was still getting some TFUG messages during
that time.  All these new messages certainly did help to fill in some blanks
in threads that were confusing me, though.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org