[Tfug] screenlets

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 23 14:12:25 MST 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:33:12PM -0700, christopher floess wrote:
>Hey, is anyone using screenlets? I've been tinkering with them, and it
>seems to me that there should be a way to toggle them in/visible. I
>know there is also gdesklets,  but it seems like there are more actual
>screenlet applets to choose from. Furthermore, a quick look at
>gdesklets seems to indicate similar issues. The documentation for
>screenlets seems to be geared to developers, and even so, it still
>doesn't seem to allude to how one controls the screenlets.
>
>Clicking on the daemon icon in the gnome notification area simply
>makes the configuration window appear, which again doesn't have a
>toggle in/visible option. Right-clicking the icon doesn't produce
>anything either. I like the idea behind screenlets, but I wouldn't
>want them to just have them glaring at me all the time. Any ideas?

Heh, I just started using Screenlets about two weeks ago.

I don't think there is any way to do what you want.  The whole idea of
screenlets is that they are glued to your desktop, basically becoming part of
the background.  So you can cover them up without worrying.

But, they are tiny and quick to start, so to accomplish a similar effect, you
could use the "Close All" and "Re-start All" functions in the Screenlets
Manager to hide/unhide them.  Not quite what you're looking for though...

Something that might get you a little closer:  I'm using the Sidebar screenlet
and the rest of my screenlets reside within it.  If there were a way, either
with Screenlets or with the window manager, to hide the Sidebar then hopefully
all the others would follow suit.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.
Try Weasel Reader for PalmOS  --  http://weaselreader.org