[Tfug] Ubuntu 7.04 upgrade failure

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 18 13:37:54 MST 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:48:01PM -0700, John Karns wrote:

> Since I didn't have any available space on my backup drives, I was had
> postponed upgrading until I could acquire an additional drive, which I
> recently did with a terabyte external drive.  First, I attempted an
> update directly to 8.04 via the 386-alternate iso.

Are you saying you don't have enough room, in any way, to do this online
via apt-get or aptitude?  I recently moved a box from 7.04 up to 8.10,
release-by-release, and I ran into a few minor problems.  One is that
apt-get dist-upgrade works better than aptitude dist-upgrade.  Another
was that grub needed a manual update (possibly because of how the kernel
was not being handled via debs).  Finally I hit one or two "package A
has file B, can't install upgrade package C as it now owns file B"
problems to manually purge/force around.

Is there no way to even just drop a usb drive or something onto the
system as a temp work-around for space?

--
Tom Rini