[Tfug] VirtualBox: Shared Folders on Debian Lenny

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Sun Mar 15 20:34:21 MST 2009

I'm having trouble getting the VirtualBox/Shared Folders thing to work on
Lenny.

I don't want to do the Samba thing unless I absolutely must. Or would
rather do it by choice than by necessity.

I guess I can't get some modules compliled, loaded: vboxadd,
mount.vboxfs...??  I was warned not to load them unconditionally, and to
allow udev to do the work, or is everything packed into vboxdrv???  Any
Ideas? Links?

Thanks!!!

ps.

After 1) booting WindowsXP, downloading updates (SP3); in the Konsole
several times and experimenting; and Installing Guest Additions on via
"Device" Tab on GUEST
           2)and getting, "Successfully installed the VirtualBox Guest
Additions." message on command line HOST
           3)and, /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Other Messages:

1)

# lsmod | grep vbox
vboxnetflt             90220  0
vboxdrv              1684268  1 vboxnetflt

2)

# mount -t vboxsf share /home/charles/VBoxShare
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device

3) The "Machine" is named VirtualXP,

# VBoxManage sharedfolder add "VirtualXP" -name "share" -hostpath
/home/charles/VBoxShare
VirtualBox Command Line Management Interface Version 2.1.4
(C) 2005-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

[!] FAILED calling a->virtualBox->FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[1]),
machine.asOutParam()) at line 4159!
[!] Primary RC  = VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001) - Object
corresponding to the supplied arguments does not exist
[!] Full error info present: true , basic error info present: true
[!] Result Code = VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001) - Object
corresponding to the supplied arguments does not exist
[!] Text        = Could not find a registered machine named 'VirtualXP'
[!] Component   = VirtualBox, Interface: IVirtualBox,
{339abca2-f47a-4302-87f5-7bc324e6bbde}
[!] Callee      = IVirtualBox, {339abca2-f47a-4302-87f5-7bc324e6bbde}

4) from dmesg

vboxadd: VirtualBox PCI device not found.

--

This message and any attachments may contain information that is
priveleged or confidential, and is intended solely for the addressee.  If