[Tfug] OT: Windows "Tracking Software"

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Thu Mar 5 20:06:22 MST 2009

Hi,

My guess is that the employer doesn't want you hacking their computer.
 If as a potential employer I had intentionally locked down a computer
and then caught an employee poking around trying to defeat it, they'd
be fired.  After all, how is them hacking the computer helping the
bottom line?  And not only that, why are they hacking it?  Are they
trying to do something illegal on my system, or are they just trying
to hide the fact that they are goofing off?  My advice would be for
this person to either quit being so paranoid or to use the work
computer only for doing actual WORK.  If they want to surf the web on
a break, they can use the wifi at a coffee shop, etc.

However, if the person decides they absolutely must.. then the
important thing to remember is that this monitoring program has to be
run from somewhere.  I think we can assume that it's not burned into
the BIOS (god, I hope not).

So, where can programs get loaded?
MBR, boot sector, then from there once an OS is available, you have a
lot of options.

1) Change boot order to boot from a CD first.  If you can't, due to a
password, open the case and reset the CMOS.  If you can't even open
the case, you're SOL.  Give up.

2) Boot from a linux live cd.. or possibly floppy or usb?  Bypassing
any possible code in the HD MBR or boot sector

3) Running from linux, use an emulator like qemu to execute fdisk
/mbr.  Replace the boot sector with a known good one from a different
windows drive.

4) Replace the windows system files with known good copies.  Includes
all .com, .exe, .dll, etc.

5) Now, check into all the normal locations for Windows to be loading
stuff.. autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini, system.ini, the registry
(Run, RunOnce, RunOnceEx, etc.. I know know the ones from 95/98, there
are probably more in XP) , the "Run" folder in each users start menu.
  Remove anything that isn't a system executable you replaced in step
4.

And that still might not work.  Best advice: make any potential
logging program useless by using the machine only for working.

Jeff