[Tfug] web server unreachable

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Wed Jan 21 13:46:17 MST 2009

On Wednesday 21 January 2009 13:02, Nate wrote:
> I'm sure you've already tried this, but can you get webpages from
> localhost?
>
> > wget localhost
>
> If that succeeds, then it's definitely something external to the box.

Not necessarily.... First a "wget localhost" (or oldschool: telnet
localhost:80 -> GET / HTTP/1.0)

If that succeeds, then check against the external IP address "wget <pub-ip>".

The localhost interface is usually always listened to and wide open. The
external IP may not be listened to (check your httpd.conf for the IPs to
listen on), or may be blocked by iptables/firewall.

Adrian