[Tfug] wimax modem help

Ranjan Grover ranjan.grover at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 23:23:38 MST 2009

> I would first thing connect to it and then do lsusb - google based on
> the hardware ID number, see if anybody has taken steps to sort it out.
>
> For example, right this second I'm using a Verizon cellmodem, model
> KPC680 (Kyocera).  In lsusb I get:
>
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0c88:180a Kyocera Wireless Corp.
>
> By googling on the string "0c88:180a" and "linux" I get quite a few
> hits.  More specific help if I drop in "ubuntu" instead of "linux".
>
> You might want to try the same thing.
>
> Failing that, the Linux WiMax page cited above says support is built
> into the 2.6.29 kernel, now in RC, so you might want to custom compile
> that and try it out.

I tried the compiling route and don't see it just work. The frustrating bit
is that I lack the necessary expertise to pursue this further. For now, I'm
resigned to going the Virtual Box / WinXP route and see if I can at least
get Wimax connectivity through a virtualized WinXP running within Linux
until there is a more elegant Linux-native solution.

The good news seems to be that there are a set of new PCMCIA cards with the
Intel Echo peak chipset around the corner. The Linux WIMAX page indicates
support built in for these.

Either way, my initial 10 day experience with mobile Wimax is a raving
success. 4 Mbps donwloads and 500 Kbps upload being the median and 3Mbps,
300 Kbps being on the lower end of the speed spectrum. Hope you guys have
the option in Tucson soon.

Ranjan