[Tfug] Hand scanner recommendation?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 30 12:33:57 MST 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 08:07:16AM -0700, Rich wrote:
> This might not sound like much help, but I'd go with a camera. A
> touch of image processing will bring the paper background back to
> plain white.

So a little bit of research suggests that people have by and large
taken to using digital cameras as portable scanners.  Compared to a
real scanner it's not ideal, as the surrounding lighting becomes a
significant issue but for in comparison to a hand scanner, the
tradeoff is probably fine.  And companies do make small table-top
camera stands (which allow you to invert the camera so as to shoot top
down onto the picture).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Claude