[Tfug] Laptop freezes and shuts down

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 22:18:19 MST 2009

Hi Rocco,

> My laptop started freezing up (frozen mouse, frozen keys,
> no response whatsoever) and on occasions would just reboot
> (no shutdown proceedure, just suddenly blank screen and
> reboot).
>
> I once thought it was the wireless card because there were
> internet connection problems at the same time, but that went
> away. Then it seemed to correlate with plugging something in
> (or just moving) the PCMCIA sound card. Then it seems to
> correlate with hitting a key a bit hard. Maybe it is a
> hardware problem. The only time I ever had this kind of
> problem with any Linux System was when there was a faulty
> sound card.

First step to troubleshooting:  remove everything that isn't
essential and see how the problem changes (if at all).
I would even remove any removable floppy/cd/dvd drives if
you can (i.e., if the problem is in the power supply
not being able to handle the load adequately and still
guarantee the required regulation).

Reseat memory.  If you have multiple DIMMs, remove all but
one.  If the problem persists, *swap* that one, etc.

You want to see what *changes* the symptoms so you have an
idea of where to *start* looking.  You may not end up
getting *rid* of the symptoms (entirely) in this stripped
down condition but if you can noticeably and repeatable
change how it behaves, then you've got a starting point.

Put the laptop in the refrigerator for a few hours and
see if that affects how long it runs before crapping out.
(Don't leave it in there *too* long and expect the display
to be "sluggish" immediately afterwards).  Notice if the
problems come "more quickly" with use (indicating that
perhaps something has become "too warm" and is overheating
or just misbehaving at elevated temperatures).

Working on laptops is annoying as everything is "special",
*small* and subject to breakage (think:  plastic fasteners)

HTH,
--don