[Tfug] Switches -- and hubs!

erich erich1 at copper.net
Mon Dec 7 11:15:46 MST 2009

Use switches,
             Hubs are definitely less efficient. I used to have hubs at
my place, but I've
converted to switches. They run 24/7. One of them produces a faint whine,
but this is tolerable.
             I've tested Skype  at my house. This requires a lot of
bandwidth but
the system can handle it.
             Rather than tie up the network with transferring large
files I use
a USB 2.0 drive that I carry around and plug into whatever machine
needs the big files.
             The network can still be used for NATed content. That is , the
local machine has a browser viewing, for example, YouTube, while
the router delivers the data from the service provider.

Erich