[Tfug] USB Floppy

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Fri Dec 4 22:58:16 MST 2009

On 4 Dec 2009 at 17:53, Bexley Hall  wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Once in a great while, I have need of a 5" floppy drive.
> I used to keep a machine with 3 & 5" drives in it just
> for that purpose.  But, nowadays, the exposed drive bay is
> worth more to me for other uses than a seldom used 5"
> floppy drive!
>
> But, it occurs to me that I *should* (?) be able to
> bastardize a 3" USB floppy to hack together a 5"
> floppy.  I.e., gut an external CDROM case; install
> the 5" floppy with the smarts from the 3" USB
> floppy and I *should* be able to read and write
> 5" media (?).
>
> Of course, this depends on how "universal" the "floppy
> USB controller" guts are...

Well, since the 5-1/4" and 3-1/2" floppy cables both plug in to the same
controller on the MB, I would think they would be very similar.  Been a long
time since I actually handled a dual-floppy cable but I'm sure I have a couple
sitting around that you might be able to look at to check pin-outs etc.  I have
a Gateway 486 tower in my office which has both types of floppy.

> Comments?  Does this have a reasonable chance of working
> (I'd hate to scrap an otherwise decent 3" USB floppy
> just to discover it *won't* work...)

Googling turned up a fair number of people who are looking for things like
this, I bet there would be a small market for it.

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona