[Tfug] trouble playing flash video in firefox

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 14:23:04 MST 2009

The BEST Linux flash I've ever run has been under my new 64bit Karmic
install, running Adobe's "alpha" 64bit player and no nspluginwrapper.

Karmic by default wants to install 32bit flash and nspluginwrapper and
it works like a turd.  I tried messing around with Gnash but it's just
not ready yet.  So I tried flash64 and whoa, it works!  Perfectly.

There's a rumor floating around that Adobe doesn't want to ship a
release-code 64bit flash until after it's ready for Mac/Win.  The
flash64 I'm running now feels solid as a rock.

To install, probably the same in most recent Ubuntu64 flavors:

1) Get rid of any existing flash-crap at the command line:

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common
mozilla-plugin-gnash nspluginwrapper swfdec-mozilla

2) Go get the real 64bit flash player:

wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.32.18.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

3) Unpack it:

tar zxvf libflashplayer-10.0.32.18.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz

4) Put the new player into the right place:

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/