[Tfug] Color Management

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 1 08:37:11 MST 2009

Hi,

What tools exist to build profiles for monitor/printer/scanner/etc?

I suspect that the only way to build a scanner profile is with
a "known" target -- the rest (analysis) should be relatively
straightforward.

Likewise, I imagine monitors and printers can only be profiled
with some external hardware (though I could envision being able
to profile a printer with a suitable "source" and a *profiled*
scanner?)

Lastly, can profiles be "convolved"?  E.g., if you scan something
on an unprofiled scanner, can you later convolve P(scanner) with
P(printer) at print time (i.e., redefine P(printer) as such)
to get the same result as if the image had been scanned on the
*profiled* scanner?

Are there any secret gotchas that differentiate printer profiles
from, e.g., monitor profiles?  (in how the color is conveyed to
the beholder)

Thanks!
--don