[Tfug] OT: HDTV

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 21:40:54 MST 2008

Hi, Jeff,

> > Yeah, and I was specifically asking about "LCD TV's" and the
> > potential problems that *seem* inherent in that sort of design
> > (e.g., all the power/HV required for the backlights)
>
> Just presenting another option.

Understood.

> A lot of sets are 720p.. having1080p
> is nice, and you can project to over 100" diagonally, no problem.  I
> also like that I can retract the screen and put away the projector and
> it's out of the living room.

I suspect my other half's reaction would be considerably worse
than a simple "frown"!  :>

> >> Used the $40 coupon to buy a converter box for my 27"
> >> Sony Wega CRT tv....
> >
> > How has *that* been?  Many of the repair forums (fora?) that
> > I watch have had unkind things to say about "Wega" (not sure if
> > there are specific models that are problems, etc.)
>
> Well it's possible that there were different models.  It almost seems
> like I saw an LCD set that had the Wega brand on it.. Mine is the Sony

Could be.  I have a longstanding dislike of All Things Sony so I
didn't watch those discussions very carefully.  :<

> Trinitron Wega KV-27FS12.  It's about 8 years old now. Never have had
> a single problem with it, and it has survived several moves (and
> living room relocations), although I do put it back in the box when I
> move it.  More info: the screen is completely flat (rather than
> cylindrical or bubble shaped), so that cuts down on glare. Has a
> nifty mode to vertically compress the image for 16:9 anamorphic
> movies.  Found out when I got a calibration disc that the green and
> red are somewhat funky, fixed it the best I could.  Was kinda fun
> tinkering in the service menu :)

Write down "current settings" before dicking with things.  :>
You'd be amazed at how easily you can mess up the color -- and
how dubious it can be to "restore"!  :>