[Tfug] Mount Problems: Output

Charles R. Kiss charles at kissbrothers.com
Fri Sep 26 05:58:25 MST 2008

TFUGGERS,

I'm afraid of running fsck on /dev/sdc because I have a feeling there
are two filesystems intertwined in there somehow, because a) I never
formatted the drive after I bought it, and b) I once remember, before
things went awry (see Mount Problems), reading the symbols:  "+hfs", on
some command line.... was it the MacBook command line, during the cp -a,
or was it from the Linux machine command line (bash) after an
unsuccessful mount, I can't remember.

Anyway, here's some output of dmesg and fdisk, after attempting some
mount -t hpfs, hfs and fat, on dev/sdc sdc1, sdc2, sdc3, and sdc4:  some
how it knows there is not sdc5:

Disk /dev/sdc: 750.1 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table

SCSI device sdc: 1465149168 512-byte hdwr sectors (750156 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 2d 08 00 00
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 1465149168 512-byte hdwr sectors (750156 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 2d 08 00 00
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
sdc: [mac] sdc1 sdc2 sdc3 sdc4
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdc
usb-storage: device scan complete

HPFS: Bad magic ... probably not HPFS
HPFS: Bad magic ... probably not HPFS
HPFS: Bad magic ... probably not HPFS
attempt to access beyond end of device
sdc1: rw=0, want=262211, limit=63
hfs: can't find a HFS filesystem on dev sdc1.
hfs: can't find a HFS filesystem on dev sdc2.
hfs: can't find a HFS filesystem on dev sdc3.
hfs: can't find a HFS filesystem on dev sdc4.

FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc4.
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc3.
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc2.
FAT: invalid media value (0x00)
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc1.
FAT: bogus number of reserved sectors
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev sdc.

house:/home/charles# cfdisk -P r /dev/sdc
FATAL ERROR: No partition table.

TIA,

Charles