[Tfug] debian, debports and changelogs..

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 14 05:14:11 MST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:30 AM, John Gruenenfelder
<johng at as.arizona.edu>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 09:41:34PM -0500, Jeremy D Rogers wrote:
> >   But now I'm confused by: [2]http://packages.debian.org/sid/iceweasel
> >   Notice there is no changelog and the red tag [debports]. Compare to the
> >   lenny version of the page. Note even more strangely, the list of files
> >   at the bottom of the page which seem to indicate the version for my
> >   arch (amd64) is 3.0.1, and yet my currently installed version is
> >   3.0.3-2.
>
> I can't give any advice on some of the other points, but since you have
> some
> packages from experimental you must have experimental in your APT sources
> file.
>
> On one machine I have Debian/testing installed but wanted a few things from
> unstable.  To make sure it didn't upgrade everything automatically, I added
> the following file:

Maybe it's a feature of experimental, but so far the behavior has been to
only pull from sid unless I specify the experimental target with the "-t
experimental" switch. Experimental is not a full blown version and only
contains a small number of packages, so it probably works differently than
listing testing and unstable in the sources.list,  but that's a pretty sweet
trick.