[Tfug] {Disarmed} Re: Tracking down a miscreant

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sat May 31 18:37:46 MST 2008

On Saturday 31 May 2008 17:24, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 05:05:17PM -0700, Ronald Sutherland wrote:
> >can you send to root at 206.169.90.30
> >I've never tryed to e-mail an ip address so not sure?
>
> Neither have I.  I guess I should give it a shot.  I know IPs work in most
> contexts... maybe with SMTP, too?

Well.... 206.169.90.30 seems to be a colo'd machine in San Jose. It does have
a SMTP server running, as well as HTTP. The machine identifies itself as
running Debian.. though doesn;t give it's hostname in headers anywhere.

You could try sending to the IP address... though the mail software may refuse
it as not being a local domain. If you are comfortable with telnet'ing SMTP,
I would manually connect and send an email to root at localhost.

Adrian