[Tfug] lilo

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Wed May 21 12:28:19 MST 2008

Eric Christian wrote:
> What is then a good partitioning for a 120GB scsi-hd, 2 GB RAM for deb 4?

Here's "Matt's Really Simple Guide to Partitioning":

  swap = between RAM and 2x RAM (so 2-4 GB)
/boot = 100 MB
/root = everything else

I used to create separate /home, /tmp, and /var partitions, but I've
since mellowed out in my old age and have stopped worrying about that
for my own personal systems. If you were the sysadmin for a big box with
lots of users, I'd probably still recommend that since people are so
unpredictable, but for single-user desktops or servers for myself, I
know I'm not an idiot (most of the time).

I also used to create a sizable FAT/FAT32 shared partition for desktops
that dual-booted Linux and Windows, but I stopped doing that a while
ago, too. With the size of hard drives these days, it's easier to
duplicate the data and use unison on all my boxes to keep everything in
sync.

But... what works for me might not work for you. I'm sure you'll see
some more useful and more clever strategies once other people start
replying to this thread.