[Tfug] Printers

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Sat May 17 09:51:57 MST 2008

On Sat May 17, 2008 at 12:24:36PM -0400, Steve wrote:

> I have switched everything to Debian and Ubuntu, and was
> pleasantly surprised with the printer.  It takes a 35mb
> software download and 15 minutes of install time to get the HP
> printer working with windows.  I plugged the printer into
> Ubuntu, and it printed a test page immediately.
>
> That's a switch, I assumed it would take at least as long with
> linux.

I've had tremendous success with HP printers. My Canon Pixma
MP780 all-in-one device (printer, fax machine, scanner, copier)
does not work well with Linux. The only driver I found that works
with it is the TurboPrint proprietary drivers, and it only
supports the printing function.

I've setup two family members with HP Deskjets (960c & 940c) with
tremendous success. Also, I picked up those two printers at
WorldCare for $15 each.

--
Glen