[Tfug] Differences between Ubuntu and Debian

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Wed May 7 11:59:15 MST 2008

Robert Hunter wrote:
 > Besides the things you mentioned, one of the most notable differences
 > is support for non-Intel hardware. More specifically, I think the main
 > Ubuntu project releases only for x86, and x86_64.  I've heard of ports
 > to other platforms, but I've no first-hand experience.

Ah, right. Debian has ARM, PowerPC, SPARC, etc.

 > Also, Debian provides several install methods, whereas Ubunutu
 > releases only install CDs.  I recently discovered this while trying to
 > install Ubuntu on a machine with a possibly faulty optical drive.

You must be referring to the network boot and ability to install from a
USB drive, both of which are cool features.

Thanks for pointing those out. Are there any other significant
differences in the actual workings of the OS? To me, I like the "feel"
of Debian better, but that's kind of a subjective argument. :-)