[Tfug] Jumbo fonts in Xubuntu on XO laptop

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:57:01 MST 2008

Hey John,

I'm glad you're enjoying your XO!  I run Debian on a 4 GB SD card on
my Zaurus PDA and have the same problems.  Here's what I did to
minimize wear and tear on the card:

Make /var/volatile

Mount a tmpfs ramdisk on /var/volatile

Symlink /var/cache, /var/run, /var/lock, /var/log, and /var/tmp to
corresponding directories in /var/volatile/ (in RAM)

Symlink /var/cache/apt to /var/apt (so when upgrading I save my .debs
on the SD card)

Symlink /tmp to /var/tmp (which links to /var/volatile/tmp)

I modified my init scripts to save the contents of /var/volatile to
/var/volatile.bak when shutting down, and restoring them during boot.

I got the idea from Angstrom Linux (which is a stripped down Debian
variant designed for embedded devices).

Regards,
Jude