[Tfug] SQL database question

John Mc jmcneill2 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 18 22:00:52 MST 2008

David Cowell wrote:
What has always filled me with wonder is: "Why the devil do we make this
an electronic process at all?"

Somehow, back a hundred years ago (and even more recently) we were able
to periodically muster the *manpower* to count the ballots in relatively
short order. The system was no more fallible than the present system...
and it had a paper trail that could be audited if the normal procedures
were followed.

Are we just too lazy or uncommitted, or do we just *hafta* know who won
before we go to bed at night?
+++

1) "Hanging chads"

2) Very poorly designed, 1950s type paper ballots for electronic scanning.

3) People that can't understand or make up their minds and choose both
candidates instead of one.

4) No national standard and as many different, poorly designed and
implemented state standards as there are states. Think about it. It has
been over 7 years since the problem was brought to national attention
and still we have no national solution. Its almost like the powers that
be really don't want a solution, don't you think? Of all the money that
has already been spent, and wasted, on MS based proprietary solutions.
Does anyone know the current progress on the FOSS solution for
electronic voting?