[Tfug] PDF (Book) Reader recs?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 14 15:51:02 MST 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 03:33:28PM -0700, Robert Hunter wrote:
> I know this sounds amazingly primitive, but what about printing?  Some
> folks may not deem this as environmentally friendly, but if you have
> the ability to print doubled-sided, two-up, it really cuts back on
> waste, and IMO is probably easier, although perhaps not as cool, as
> the alternative.

A good point and frequently my preference.  Also little chance of
accidentally deleting the article and you can take notes right on the
paper!  Downsides: printing takes time, I'm already awash in
printouts, and frequently it's simply impractical (at the moment I'm
reading a 300+ page book on OSS GIS).  A good, fast laser printer
could take care of the first problem and is an attractive solution
(except for the pricing).

> That said, Costco is now selling a Sony book-reader for about $200.
> Apparently it runs MontaVista Linux, who used to be Tom R.'s employer,
> I don't know what he is up to these days. ;-) I have no idea how
> hackable it is.  If anyone tested it, I would be interested in your
> experiences.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Reader

I seem to recall hearing something about that.  Thank, I'll take a
look at it.

C.