[Tfug] Motherboard chipset compatability with Linux

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Thu Jul 31 09:05:23 MST 2008

Now that I am running virtual machines on my dev box I have
decided to upgrade its hardware. I am looking at the following:

Motherboard: ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

I may be paranoid, but I am under the impression that there are
sometimes issues with the northbridge not being compatible with
Linux (I suppose that means not having the right drivers). I have
unsuccessfully tried to determine if the Intel X38 northbridge
(the one on my preferred board) is compatible with Debian Stable
and Testing. As a backup I am also interested in: Intel P35.

Can anyone help me out? Is anyone running a board with that
northbridge?

OT: I'm a bit disappointed in that most of the newer boards do
not have AGP slots. Sure, I know PCI Express is the new kid on
the block and is faster and all; I just didn't want to buy a new
video card too.

--
Glen