[Tfug] I seem to have picked up a "motosickle Padawan" :)

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Mon Jul 28 09:18:03 MST 2008

Assuming that the weather forecast is good, which appears to be the case
as of this morning, I'll ride the bike to Happy Hour this Thursday and
then all of you can make fun of me attempting not to drop the bike in
the parking lot. Any chance of rain and I'm taking the cage. :-D

But seriously, it's fun. It's a lot of fun. If you've never ridden a
motorcycle before (I hadn't), you might want to consider it given the
current fuel predicament. It cost me $15 for a full tank of the
high-octane good stuff yesterday, and that should last me about 250
miles or so before filling up again. Learning the controls isn't as hard
as I thought it would be, but it's not as easy as an experience rider
makes it look, either.

I think Jim lost count after about 20, but that's how many times I
stalled it on the first day in the parking lot. By the second day that
number was down to 4, and today it was 0 on my way to work this morning.
So, yeah, there's a bit of a learning curve if you've never driven an MT
car before, but the mystical clutch isn't as scary as I once thought.
Having to ride and survive in traffic is a good motivator, though. :-)

Thanks again to everyone who replied to my original question. There's a
lot of good advice in that thread that should be of use to other newbies
like myself.

Stay safe out there, and if you're driving something with > 2 wheels,
remember to keep an eye out for those of us crazy enough to want to get
around without a protective shell around us.

We now return to your regularly scheduled Linux. :-)