[Tfug] Stock Linux analog of tip(1)?

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Fri Jul 18 22:24:47 MST 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 14:39, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the *stock* Linux equivalent of tip(1)?
>
> No, I'm not interested in add-on packages that give tip-like
> functionality.  :<  Is there a tip equivalent in *most*
> distros?

OK... I give up, what exactly is tip? I can only assume you mean the Sun
command tip (man page:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-0210/6m6nb7mn9?a=view), which seems to
just open a remote terminal... but one that acts as a psuedo-serial terminal
with ftp-ish file transfer capabilities I guess?

The closest in the linux world I would guess is "rsh", open a remote shell
session. (It can do uucp between systems as well, but the commands are a bit
different. There is also a rcp, remote copy, which uses the same mechanism).

Obviously... it is highly insecure, but installed by default on all
distributions. You would probably have to allow incoming connections on the
remote system first, as it is most likely firewalled/disabled. The standard
ssh/scp/sftp are obviously preferred for security.

Adrian