[Tfug] Use laptop as external kbd/monitor?

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Fri Jan 25 12:24:42 MST 2008

I can think of two options.

Option 1, console over serial, use an null modem cable, and a terminal
program (minicom or hyperterm), and bring up a console.  On most PC
hardware, this won't help with bios issues, etc, but you can configure
grub to use a serial console, and the kernel can use a serial console, etc.

Option 2, buy an IP KVM (single head) unit.

such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KVM-over-IP-Server-remote-control-Startech-SV1110IPEXT_W0QQitemZ150209341566QQihZ005QQcategoryZ11175QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

unfortunately, most of the IP KVM units require an active X control to
view the KVM....

                                           Harry