[Tfug] Mount disk from old system

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Wed Jan 23 20:27:04 MST 2008

Yes, there was a mount point.  Turns out the problem was that both drives
were LVM'd and both had the default volume/group names (the installation
defaults).  After much digging and asking I discovered that more recent
versions of the vgrename LVM utility allow you to change the LVM name of a
disk/partition by using the disk's UUID.  Much on-line documentation and
discussion of this utility are outdated and don't mention this very useful
capability.  Once that was done, access was mine!  I also discovered that
by putting the drive on another box that didn't have LVM control on the
internal drive I could also access the LVM'd partition with no trouble.
Tomorrow is rebuild-the-server day.

The main thing I learned was that if I do another install I won't use the
default partitioning ever again.  LVM may be useful for some things, but
for garden-variety users it's just one more thing to cause you a problem
if it goes wrong.

Jim