[Tfug] Mount disk from old system

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Tue Jan 22 16:38:51 MST 2008

Now that my server is a brick (see OT thread) I'm wanting to mount the HD
that was in the old server in the one that's to be my new server.  First
attempt was to use one of those nice gizmos that allows you to hook a bare
naked SATA drive up to a computer via a USB connection.  The drive shows
up, but I can only mount the first (/boot) partition.  When I try to mount
the main partition it won't take (mount complains of wrong fs type, bad
option, bad superblock, or too many mounted filesystems).  I unmounted the
/boot partition and used mount to remount it with no problems, so there's
something about that second partition that's a problem.

I suspect the problem might be that this disk was the primary volume for
another system.  My next attempt will be to mount it physically inside the
case of the new system to go around the USB software, but I don't know if
that's going to make any difference.  Anyone ever do this before
(successfully preferred!).

Jim