[Tfug] OSX

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 13:51:18 MST 2008

Hi, Rich,

--- Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008, at 11:22 am, Bexley Hall wrote:
>
> > I suspect the "hackish" nature of the API will no
> > doubt show up as innumerable "inconsistencies" or
> > "incompatibilities" with native WindBlows apps.
> > I guess if you want to run WordPad, you could do
> > so nicely  ;-)
>
> You misunderstood me. I was saying that running X
> apps on Cygwin on
> Windows, or running Windows apps on wine on Linux
> gives you roughly
> the same breadth of tools as does Mac OS X does out
> of the box: no

Ahhh.... sorry!  Yes, I *did* mistake that.  :<
So, that suggests that this "feature" only makes
sense on an *Intel* Mac (?) -- I.e. the beige G3
is a PPC Mac (or, does OSX support both sets of
iron, though possibly omitting the windows API
on the nonIntel platform?)

> hacks required. Kinda like Irix did, but without the
> price tag...
>
> >> Remember 10.2 is history. Like Win XP before the
> >> service packs and Linux before Ubuntu.
> > Understood.  It was just "what I had available",
> > hence, the only thing I could *try*.
>
> Let's see. 10.2.x runs on Darwin 6.y where x=y.
> Current version of
> Darwin available is 9.0. So pah! You haven't even
> begun :-P  Try
> upgrading the version of Darwin that 10.2 sits on to
> a later version.
> Kernel, or the entire OS.
>
> Others have been there before you:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=upgrade+darwin
>
> Here's the source:
> http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

Thanks but if it means finding a new box, I will
probably just shrug my shoulders and recycle this
thing (though I will first explore the video capture
capabilities -- perhaps I can discard my SunVideo)

--don