[Tfug] Wireless

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 16:39:23 MST 2008

Hi, John,

--- John Karns <johnkarns at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2008 10:33 AM, Bexley Hall
> <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I see lots of signal in each case.  But,
> > notice a helluvalot of "packets received
> > with errors" -- in both cases (though, no
> > doubt, more when my throughput drops to
> > practically zero!)
>
> One thing you might try is changing the channel of
> the router / AP
> away from the default channel (accessible from the
> devices configuration).

Yeah, I thought about trying that.  It would help
me if I have a neighbor on that same channel, etc.
But, I doubt it would help if there is broadband
interference...

> You could also check to see that the SSID is
> specified in your hosts wifi config, and not "any".

<grin>  Already done.

> Of course, doing those two things would not address
> any issues of
> interference from other devices such as phones or
> other appliances,
> but might be effective if the issue is interference
> from other wifi gear in your vicinity.

I figure the range on these should limit the
possible culprits to my *immediate* neighbors.
I should start asking around to see who has what.

Thanks!
--don