[Tfug] Wireless

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Sat Feb 9 20:52:56 MST 2008

Don,

On DSL I lost ethernet internet connection with temperature changes, especially when it was hot.  I also noticed my neighbor outside with his 2.4 GHz phone would sometimes interfere with the WiFi but the ethernet connection still worked.

I was in a neighborhood with old phone lines and couldn't practically get anything faster than 256 up and down.

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler
"I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code" Unknown Linux Geek

-- Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm having some "issues" with my wireless
connection   :<

At times, performance seems "adequate";
at others, it's like a cable is unplugged!
(figuratively)

I see lots of signal in each case.  But,
notice a helluvalot of "packets received
with errors" -- in both cases (though, no
doubt, more when my throughput drops to
practically zero!)

After head-scratching for a while ("good
signal yet sh*tty throughput?"), I *think*
what's happening is I must be getting
some sort of interference?

I.e., I am sure signal strength is *literally*
that -- the magnitude of the signal at some
early IF stage in the receiver.  It has
nothing to do with the *content* of that
signal.

OTOH, if there is something interfering with
the signal, the signal will still be strong,
but "corrupted" (?)

I think these operate on the 2.4GHz band.
I note that *my* microwave oven is not on.
Nor do I have a cordless phone operating,
etc.

I don't see any *other* "networks available"
(i.e., neighbors) though they might not be
broadcasting their SSID's.

Any other suggestions as to the possible
source of the interference?  Or, clarification
if this really *is* an interference symptom?
I.e., foolish to put a better antenna on the
machine since signal strength does not appear
to be a problem (?)

Card in question is Orinoco Gold a/b/g and
I am running in g mode.

Thx,
--don

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs