[Tfug] In need of hard drive info)

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 09:05:49 MST 2008

> Samba is probably your best bet for that, have not checked if time
> machine works well over it yet or not.

It doesn't.  Time Machine can be put in "unsupported network volume"
mode, but that's a ticking time bomb.  Ideally you'd put it in a HFS
disk image on the network volume, as it does with the Time Capsule or
OS X Server target modes of TM.

> You could probably do iSCSI with time machine though :)

That does work, with an HFS volume on the iSCSI LUN.

I'd go with OpenSolaris w/ZFS for this.  It's relatively easy to set
up, and exporting an iSCSI LUN from a ZFS pool is dead simple.

- Zack