[Tfug] ubuntu

christopher skeptikos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 16:31:57 MST 2008

I think he just misses the point. I see it in
un-computerish people all the time. They get wrapped up
in technological this-and-thats and start to think in
terms of one glorious hyper-evolvable system that
does it all and is philanthropic at the same time.

What he doesn't understand is that that is computer
utopianism. I think if I knew this guy as a friend
outside of the list and explained to him that I like my
mail client to handle mail well, and my web client to
handle the web well and my window manager to handle
windows well and so on and so forth, he would see where
the disconnect is.

I did that with a friend of mine who fired the same
sort of questions at me and she totally got it. What
was even better is that when she was selling a book to
a customer at her job who was an actual programmer, he
affirmed exactly that. It really made a non-programmer
end-user like myself feel like I knew some sh*t.

Ok, if I get flamed for carrying this thread on, I know
I deserve it. I promise that the next post you see from
me will be something deep, like XO emulation on
FreeBSD. See ya!

christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com>