[Tfug] ubuntu

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Wed Apr 23 16:17:05 MST 2008

Huh? What does the proliferation and decentralization of information on
the internet have to do with linux? I guess I missed something...

How can you say that linux is becoming more complex? I remember the
first time I tried it about 10 years ago (RedHat 6.x) and fighting for
two weeks to stop the desktop from wobbling and flickering before giving
up. Today I recommend it to family and friends that are not technically
inclined.

Which websites specifically are making you bewildered? Note that IMO
websites are not always a replacement for a good book on a topic.

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
> Which only makes the point again that linux is evolving into greater
> complexity,
> not greater ease. Looking over these numerous websites with their dialect and
> allusions is more than just convoluted, it is bewildering. Again, this thread
> started with a question, "Why aren't more people using linux?", and the answer
> is here. So is the solution.

> Quoting Andrew Ayre <andy at britishideas.com>:
>
>> Evidence of what Claude described is everywhere on the internet. For
>> example the multitude of PC "how to" sites, individual blogs, multiple
>> news sites, etc. These are all tied together with search engines and
>> rich hyperlinks. For example blog postings referring to other blog
>> postings, slashdot, digg, etc.
>>
>> Andy

>>> Perhaps I am too old school, but that is hard to wrap my mind around.
>>>
>>> How can you develop a system, no matter how distributed, that
>>> doesn't have an
>>> organizational theme, and expect it to work easily/efficiently?
>>>
>>> Last night here at the U. a bunch of people with bicycles gathered
>>> and milled
>>> about. I asked someone who organized this event, to which the reply
>>> that no one
>>> did. It just happened. And it continues to happen every Tuesday night
>>> at 8ish. I
>>> hung around awhile to observe the process. Someone eventually shouted
>>> out to the
>>> crowd that had a path that they were going, and to follow them. The crowd
>>> followed this person who took the lead.
>>>
>>> I think that a central organizational theme is needed, no matter how
>>> loose the
>>> association, if decisions are to be made. For instance, (Mr. Linus?)
>>> acts as a
>>> benevolent dictator. The real question (for me) is how to organize
>>> the themes.
>>> I don't have the technical know how to lead such a project, but I think it
>>> would be useful, even if outdated in modality.
>> --
>> Andy
>> PGP Key ID: 0xDC1B5864

Andy