[Tfug] ubuntu

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Tue Apr 15 09:53:05 MST 2008

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu wrote:
> I am the itinerate newbie regards to linux. I have been interested in it for
> over a decade, but haven't hadn't loaded it on my main computer until just
> recently, primarily because of the because of the difficulty involved in doing
> a dual boot, but also due to a lack of anyone to hold my hand to degree
> neccessary to get past first base.

I would like to suggest a couple of classes.

Pima Community College offers CIS 137 which is an introduction to
Unix/Linux.  It will get your feet wet and is really a lot of fun.
Usually Louis Taber teaches this class.

Then there is Harry McGregor and his CIS 225 and CIS 226 Linux classes
at Pima.  You will really get your feet wet and learn a lot about how to
do things from the command prompt, set up servers, security, etc.

I had a little Linux experience and took Harry's CIS 225 class first,
then the CIS 226 class, then the introductory CIS 137 class, but then
I've always been known for doing things backwards!  ;-)

I've since taken a lot of Windows classes at Pima so I now understand
that OS better as well.  Turning your back on Linux would be a shame as
estimates say that at least 70% of the Internet runs on some kind of
Linux or Unix server. It may not be the easiest desktop OS to learn but
IMHO, neither is Windows. The more you learn about Windows, the more you
see that was "borrowed" from the *ix world.

Pima is a bargain and the classes are usually offered at hours when
working folks or UA students can take them.  You can never have too much
education. ;-)

George Cohn