[Tfug] OSS equivalent of M$ FolderShare?

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Thu Sep 13 10:15:19 MST 2007

On Sep 12, 2007, at 9:28 pm, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

> You got it.  What I'm after is real-time synching of Firefox
> profiles, where any changes to the local profile folder are
> mirrored to other machines through a shared folder somewhere out
> there.  Manual synching won't do what I want.

You have three obstacles:
1. file syncing
2. file content syncing
3. Firefox knowing that its prefs/bookmarks have changed

1 & 2 are solved by svn, cvs, etc.; but with some wrapper code to
trigger check-in and check-out events.
  * a change to prefs triggers a check-in
  * a check-in triggers all other subscribers to check-out

The second of these could also (somehow) tell FF to reload files.

FolderShare sounds like a non-developer application of version
control. With the right front-end, we could do that cross platform,
give it a name, and tell Ballmer to go back to furniture removals.

R.