[Tfug] Gmail gets IMAP

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Mon Oct 29 23:41:43 MST 2007

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 10:41:30AM -0700, Ronald Sutherland wrote:
> They must be looking for activity on that Forwarding page, since I did not
> see it then 5 min later it was there... amazing. Not sure if I need it?

The first thing I'm doing is clearing out old stuff that is chewing up
my disk quota.  Gmail doesn't let you sort messages in certain useful ways,
such as by message size; but it's a snap to do that with IMAP.

Oddly, deleting stuff in IMAP only seems to remove labels (at least
with my mutt client).  I ended up having to move stuff to Trash in
mutt, and then purge it all through the Gmail web interface.

Another thing I noticed is that it takes quite a while for IMAP to
fetch all the headers from "folders" which are populated with
bazillions of messages.  The newest version of mutt has a header caching
feature, which really speeds things up.

Finally, if you don't have privledges to configure the system MTA to
talk TLS with Gmail's SMTP server, I found a 'lite' MTA called msmtp,
which is a snap to setup.

http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/

--
Rob