[Tfug] RAID on LVM (was Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux)

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Fri Nov 30 19:13:27 MST 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 02:27:35PM -0700, Claude Rubinson wrote:
>> and MFM drives where you can hear the heads moving about.  So it's possible
>> the recovery process may be no walk in the park.
>>
>> ???  What was that noise?
>
>You really need to test your setup to make sure that it works.  Same
>as with backups.  I assume that I'm not the only one who's gone to
>recover something from backup only to discover that his backup script
>was flawed?
>
>For ways of simulating a raid drive failure, see:
>http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.3
>
>C.

I have started the machine with just one drive plugged in (hda) and it
survived at least this.  But I've never done anything more since I didn't want
to unplug a drive while the machine was on.

This link, though, gives some good ideas to use with the raidtools.  I'm going
to give it a try.  Thanks for the link.

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.