[Tfug] RAID on LVM (was Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux)

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Thu Nov 29 21:41:49 MST 2007

On 28 Nov 2007 at 9:20, Ronald Sutherland  wrote:

> I always worry about the salesmanship effect, for example  when I ask a
> vendor about there own products, or use books about VB from  MS (I sent them
> all the the LFFS a few years back). What happens is... I get lots of info
> about how wonderful things are (and it may all be true), but I don't get the
> pitfalls and traps (that would make the product look bad).

I hear you there.  It's not, however, just payware that has this problem.

I'm trying to find out the pitfalls of RAID with LVM for a new server I'm
setting up, and I can't find anywhere that lists why people might NOT want to
do this.  Also, I can't find anything about setting up RAID _5_ with LVM; RAID
_1_ with LVM I can find.

Hints, personal experience, links welcomed.

TIA

Angus

--
Angus Scott-Fleming