[Tfug] Cooling

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 00:12:30 MST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007 11:05 AM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> But, what about devices that don't have these nice
> identifiable hotspots?  Are there any rules as to
> why or when it is best to pull vs. push air?  I
> know the turbulence created by obstructions greatly
> affects the cooling ability of the air flow.  But,
> does the turbulence differ if the is air being
> *pushed*
> into that region vs. *pulled* though it?

The fan will heat the air it moves
The pulled air is more or less a Laminar flow (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminar_flow)
The pushed air is a Turbulent flow (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbulent_flow)

My guess is turbulent air pulls heat off surfaces better. I think it mixes
as it moves, while Laminar would have to conduct heat to the air not in
contact with the surfaces.