[Tfug] home media server

daniel galaska galaskadaniel at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 24 16:53:59 MST 2007

precisely :)

i don't have a home media center (hell, i don't even have a tv), but i do have a number of movies and a collection of music that i would like to be able to access from anywhere. the idea is to keep from having to carry around that external drive anymore.

i haven't had much time to play with it today, but yesterday i ran across a program called gnump3. after a fresh install of ubuntu 7.10, i installed the software and it seems to work rather well on the home network. file formats could be an issue however, gnump3 didn't seem to like .mp4 or any other mac format for that matter. but the first impression is that the software will work pretty well.

i still haven't installed a hard drive with enough space to hold all of my files -- i was just using an old 20 gig i had laying around to test the waters. i was thinking about something around 500 gigs, but have not quite decided. i am probably going to the be the only person (as well as a few choice friends) using this thing, so would a software raid be necessary? i am completely ignorant when it comes to raid except hearing the term occasionally in passing. anyway, i'm always up for a challenge :).

thanks for all of the suggestions.

-- daniel

erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote: OK,
      I assume you already have a home theater PC (HTPC) and you want
the server
someplace else to cut down on the noise. That's the main reason for a
media server.
      When you say "remote locations" this is intriguing. Do you want to
be able to access
your media from your laptop at the coffehouse?

Erich

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: