[Tfug] NetBSD GUI

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 12:01:59 MST 2007

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:02:12 -0700, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Greetings!
>> Do you run NetBSD? I installed out of joke last
>> weekend. Absolutely
>
> I've been running NetBSD for many years.  I started
> at 0.8  <grin> and ran it alongside FreeBSD (v 0.9
> at the time... I think so they could *claim* to be
> "ahead" of the NBSD folks  :-/ ) and eventually
> gave up on FBSD when they started pushing "quantity"
> instead of "quality".  (N.B. I haven't revisited
> FBSD since about 2.3? so no idea how much better
> or worse their quality issue has become)
>
>> fantastic OS. True old-fashion Unix.
>
> Yes.  "It just works".  Of course, I don't play with
> all the pretty/silly GUI apps so I have no idea if
> their ports are any better or worse than the
> mainstream...  I want a machine to help me get my
> work done; not "look pretty"  :>

GUI applications on NetBSD are the same as in Ubuntu, Mandriva, Gentoo,
OpenBSD, FreeBSD, or Debian:-)
Everybody uses the same applications.
The only difference is that Skype might be easier to install on FreeBSD
than let say
on OpenBSD because in FreeBSD, Skype is in ports while OpenBSD expect that
you are serious user and
if you want Linux package you add it by hand on the top of Linux
compatibility layer.

The difference is that NetBSD uses Gnome2.16 while FreeBSD is using Gnome
2.20 now. Supposedly 2.20 has
fewer bug but since it did add some new "features" my guess is that
actually has more bugs.

So except on this family computer which run Gnome 2.18 I am just the
OpenBox guy.

NetBSD is the only OS that I know of (may be there are some Linux distros)
that still uses XF86Fee.
I have not noticed any difference XOrg vs XF86Free on the older hardware
on which I tested NetBSD.
You are the only flavour of BSD that switched to postfix. Everyone else is
still using sendmail as
a default MTA. I know peope in FreeBSD gang that swore by postfix or even
exim so I thing it is up to you
to decide what you want to do.

Cheers,
Predrag